452 Calories, 30 Minutes
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen chopped peppers and onions
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Place all ingredients, except brown rice, into a sauce pot over medium-high heat, stirring to combine.
- Bring mixture up to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over or alongside cooked brown rice.
For a spicier chili, add 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes in the first step. “This was so simple to prepare, but it sure didn’t taste simple!”