The star ingredient in the newly released Immune Shake Booster is Wellmune®*. Wellmune is a 1,3/1,6 beta glucan from the walls of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, or baker’s yeast. With immunomodulating properties, it is backed by over a dozen scientific studies supporting its effects for priming the immune system.†
What are beta glucans?
Beta glucans are glucopolysaccharides that have immunomodulating properties – meaning they work to normalize the function of immune processes of the body.† They are naturally found in a variety of organisms, including yeast, fungi, and cereal grains. The beta glucans in Wellmune are from the walls of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, or baker’s yeast, a species of yeast commonly used in bread baking and winemaking.
The structure of beta glucans is an important factor, as each category of beta glucan has a distinct molecular structure that affects its unique natural function. The structure of Wellmune is a backbone of glucose molecules linked together by beta 1,3 linkages. Additionally, there are side chains that branch off by 1,6 linkages. 1,3/1,6 beta glucans are more effective immunomodulators than 1,3 beta glucans that do not contain the 1,6 branch points (1). Consistent immunomodulating effects have been reported by researchers using a purified form of baker’s yeast beta glucan that exists in Wellmune (2).
The beta glucans in Wellmune work through specialized immune cells in the intestine called Peyer’s patches that break it down into small fragments. The fragments are distributed and bind to neutrophils, the body’s most abundant immune cell. Neutrophils are primed to move more quickly and effectively throughout the body when Wellmune is ingested on a consistent, daily basis. Research has shown that daily ingestion of beta glucans can lead to an increase in the effectiveness and response of the immune system.†
Results from over a dozen scientific studies show that Wellmune can be an effective immunomodulator in various population groups.† Studies have been completed in athletes, weekend warriors, stressed individuals, older populations, children, and healthy adults (2-8). The researchers agree that the beta glucans in Wellmune help support key immune functions.†
Intense physical activity often impacts the immune system, a phenomenon known as the “open window” period. Studies in both athletes and recreationally active adults indicate daily supplementation with Wellmune can help support the immune system following intense exercise (2-4).†
Stress can impact the immune system’s responsiveness. In highly stressed individuals, daily supplementation of Wellmune beta glucan resulted in lower levels of self-reported tension, fatigue, and confusion. Additionally, better overall health and increased mental and physical energy were reported, leading researchers to conclude that Wellmune may help maintain the balance of the immune system against daily stressors (5,6).†
Wellmune and Immune Shake Booster
Wellmune is a key component of the Immune Shake Booster. With 250 milligrams of Wellmune beta glucan per serving, Immune Shake Booster is a daily support for your immune system and help keep it working at its peak.† Individuals with extreme stress or those participating in intense exercise, may want to use two scoops, or 500 milligrams of Immune Shake Booster.†
*Wellmune® is a registered trademark of Kerry Group.
†This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Auinger A, Riede L, Bothe G, et al. Yeast (1,3)-(1,6)-beta-glucan helps to maintain the body’s defence against pathogens: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicentric study in healthy subjects. Eur J Nutr. 2013 Jan; 52: 1913-1918.
- McFarlin BK, Venable AS, Carpenter KC, et al. Oral supplementation with baker’s yeast beta glucan is associated with altered monocytes, T cells and cytokines following a bout of strenuous exercise. Front Physiol. 2017 Oct; 8: 786.
- McFarlin BK, Carpenter KC, Davidson T, and McFarlin MA. Baker’s yeast beta glucan supplementation increases salivary IgA and decreases cold/flu symptomatic days after intense exercise. J Diet Suppl. 2013 Sept; 10(3): 171-83.
- Carpenter KC, Breslin WL, Davidson T, Adams A, and McFarlin BK. Baker’s yeast β-glucan supplementation increases monocytes and cytokines post-exercise: implications for infection risk? Br J Nutr. 2013 Feb; 109(3): 478-486.
- Talbott SM and Talbott JA. Baker’s yeast beta-glucan supplement reduces upper respiratory symptoms and improves mood state in stressed women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012 Apr; 31(4): 295-300.
- Talbott S and Talbott J. Beta 1,3/1,6 glucan decreases upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and improves psychological well-being in moderate to highly-stressed subjects. AgroFood Industry Hi-Tech. 2010 Jan/Feb; 21(1): 21-24.
- Fuller R, Moore MV, Lewith G, et al. Yeast derived beta 1,3/1,6 glucan, upper respiratory tract infection and innate immunity in older adults. Nutrition. 2017 Jul-Aug; 39-40: 30-35.
- Meng F. Baker’s yeast beta-glucan decreases episodes of common childhood illness in 1 to 4 year old children during cold season in China. J Nutr Food Sci. 2016 Jun; 6(4): 2-6.
The post Ingredient Spotlight: Wellmune appeared first on Isagenix Health.
You May Also Like
Post-Workout Super Shake
Winter Trail Mix
Apple Spice Granola
IsaDelight Bark With Caramel Brulée Drizzle
Caramel Brulée Cookie Dough Bites
Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
BĒA Super Sparkler
Peppermint Mocha Shake
IsaDelight Cashew Butter Cups
Plant-Based Banana Bread
Nature Oat Bake Granola
Nature Oat Bake Isa-Cream Sandwiches
Nature Oat Bake Skewers
BEA Mango Mimosa Slushie
Plant-Based Strawberry Ice Cream
Plant-Based Strawberry Crepes
Plant-Based Strawberry Muffins
Plant-Based Maple Pecan Protein Balls
Celebration BĒA Sparkler
Bone Broth Chicken Gravy
Kale & Sausage Bone Broth Soup
IsaDelight Reindeer Bark
Holiday Charcuterie Board
Leftover Turkey and Vegetable Soup
Protein Chocolate Mug Cake
Vanilla Protein Coffee Creamer
Greens Lavender Iced Matcha Latte
Isagenix Greens Salad Dressing
Everyday Ginger-Infused Cleanse Tea
Choco-Lava Mug Cake